Saturday, November 5, 2011

Marinated Flank Steak





You may think it's odd that I am introducing a grilling recipe as we move into the cold weather. This is because I myself do not have a grill. It really doesn't matter to me how cold it is outside since I am stuck with my ventilation-free broiler. This does not stop me from using it though, as I've discussed previously. It's just too nice to have a main course that is ready in about 12 minutes to resist.  Now here is one of my easy pleasers. My girls call it "yummy meat" and this in itself is a freaking miracle. Adults love it as well. You can serve it with just about anything - potatoes, warm bread, salad or steamed vegetables. It is amazing on the grill but darn tasty in the broiler.  I adapted this from Mark Bittman.

Makes 4-8 servings depending on the size of the steak and the size of the diners

You will need:
4 tablespoons lime juice
4 tablespoons soy sauce
1 teaspoon (or more if you love it) minced garlic
1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger (see my tip from the post Ingredients sold in large quantities, but used in ... )
1 tsp sugar
salt and pepper
1 flank steak, somewhere between 2 and 2.5 lbs


  • Put the lime juice, soy sauce, garlic, ginger and sugar into a glass or ceramic container big enough to hold your steak.  Stir it a bit to mix everything above together.
  • Put a little salt and pepper on the raw steak.
  • Put the steak in the marinade, and spoon some over the top so you get the whole steak covered with marinade. Cover with plastic wrap and put in the fridge to marinate. You need to marinate it for at least 30 minutes- but it's best to leave it all day, which works out very well if you do it in the morning. 
  • Grill or broil the steak on high about 4 inches from the flame. You can do 3-6 minutes on each side, depending on how rare you like it. 6 minutes usually results in well done meat. 
  • Let it rest for a few minutes. This prevents all the juices from flowing out. 
  • Slice it across the grain. 
And that's it! Hope you like it.
XOXO Christina

2 comments:

  1. Omg - drooling thinking about this. Planning on it for Friday night and using the excuse that the older daughter, who eats three items, requested steak. Steak is not one of the three items.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy to report (because I am certain you want a play by play) that my flank steak has been marinating for the last hour.

    ReplyDelete