Thursday, November 3, 2011

How do I cook dinner for the kids when I am not there? It's tricky, I tell you...





Recently someone asked me how I manage to cook for my kids since they eat dinner at 5pm and I don’t get home from work until 5.45pm. Well actually no one asked me this, but I wish someone would because I am very proud of this week’s results. I am so lucky in that I have a great babysitter who is happy to put things in the oven for me.  In theory, I leave something nice and healthy that she can just heat up.  Some days, when the theoretical has become fantasy and I leave nothing for her, she will make them something simple, like scrambled eggs or brown rice and edamame and doesn’t even complain about it. (No, you cannot have her phone number.)  
But as I mentioned, this week was a particularly good week, which inspired me to share it with you. I prepped a bunch of veggies on Sunday, like they say to do in all the magazines. Don't believe me? Fine. It's true. I actually bought them all cut up already. I DID broil an extra marinated flank steak on Sunday night. We reheated it on Monday night and for sides, we just steamed up some veggies and baked one of those par-baked frozen French breads. It was great. On Tuesday I left a marinated pork loin which roasts in about thirty minutes, and served it with some rice and steamed veggies. Yesterday morning while I was making my daughter’s lunch, I prepped a roast chicken and threw in some potatoes and carrots. The babysitter put it in the oven for me, and we had that with some vegetable soup I bought from a gourmet shop.  In the past, I’ve done soups and stews in the slow cooker which also works. I’ve got to run, but I will provide the marinated flank steak recipe soon as it’s one of my top hits as a cook.
And I have to admit that one of my main motivations for this post was to find out what everyone else does on busy weekdays. Tell me!
Ciao! Christina

No comments:

Post a Comment