Friday, August 26, 2016

Pink Pickles



Pickled Red Onions
I spotted these absolutely gorgeous red onions at the farm stand a few weeks ago. I just couldn't resist their shining, glorious color. I got them home and then didn't really know what to do with them- it was a LOT of onion. My sister suggested pickled onions, which I love at restaurants, but never thought of making myself. She assured me it was quite easy. I began experimenting with them. It is fun on so many levels- you can use beautiful mason jasons to store them in! Their lovely pink color and unique flavor adds beauty and zest to salads, sandwiches, or my favorite- tacos! And, best of all, they are so easy! The whole thing takes maybe 10  minutes and it lasts a few weeks in the fridge. Here's the recipe I ended up with. 


1 Medium Red Onion
1/2 Teaspoon Salt
1/2 Teaspoon Sugar
3/4 Cups white or apple cider vinegar (use good quality)
1 clove of garlic, halved
4-6 black peppercorns
Kettle of water for blanching
A container for storing them in- I recommend a glass mason jar, or other non-reactive container such as ceramic. Avoid plastic and metal.

Note: You can also add some herbs like thyme- or if you want to make it spicy, put a small red chili pepper in there! Yum!

Directions
Put the kettle of water on to boil. 
Peel off the outer skin of the onion
Thinly slice the onion into 1/4 inch rounds.
Place the onions into a sieve and put it in the sink. Pour the boiling water slowly over the sliced onions- this will blanch them. 
Combine the sugar, salt, vinegar, garlic and anything else you are putting in there. 
Add the drained onions to the jar, stir and put them in the fridge. 
Wait a few hours before serving so the flavor sinks in.
DELICIOUS! 


No comments:

Post a Comment